Justin Gordon talks with Dan Kimerling, Founder and Managing Partner of Deciens Capital, a venture capital firm that supports early-stage founders building the next generation of enduring companies in financial services.
Justin Gordon (@justingordon212) talks with Dan Kimerling (@dkimerling), Founder and Managing Partner of Deciens Capital, a venture capital firm that supports early-stage founders building the next generation of enduring companies in financial services.
Deciens Capital exclusively focuses on financial technology investments with interests in payments, lending, insurance, regtech, risk management, capital markets, trade finance, personal finance, savings, marketplaces, and much more. They seek visionary founders at the earliest stage of their company's life. They support their founders with advice, expertise, relationships, and, yes, capital.
Dan Kimerling is a start-up veteran with three exits, an angel with 30+ deals, an experienced GP, LP, and CxO. He is focused on the future of Financial Services in the US and abroad. Educated at the University of Chicago, YCombinator, and Kauffman Fellows.
Listen on Spotify
Listen on Apple Podcasts
Listen on Google Podcasts
- Deciens’ investment thesis
- How hard criteria, soft criteria, and timing must align to get a yes from Deciens
- Why leading deals is key to their thesis
- The reality of the transition from angel investing to running a fund
- The parallels between enterprise sales and raising a fund
- The challenge of how to market Deciens authentically and learning to tell their story engagingly
- Deciens’ Venture Partner role dedicated to capital partnerships and capital formation
- The importance of partnering a great product with successful sales marketing as a VC fund
- How Dan’s experience as a founder/operator has influenced how he works with founders as an investor
- Common failure patterns among VC funds
- Deciens’ investment in Sydecar
- Key traits to look for in a founder
- Deciens’ investment in Chipper Cash
- What’s next for Deciens
More About the Show
The VITALIZE Podcast, a show by VITALIZE Venture Capital (a seed-stage venture capital firm and pre-seed 400+ member angel community open to everyone), dives deep into the world of startup investing and the future of work.
Hosted by Justin Gordon, the Director of Marketing at VITALIZE Venture Capital, The VITALIZE Podcast features interviews with a variety of VCs, angel investors, and founders, with a particular focus on the future of work.