The Value of Investing Across Stages and Sectors, with Deena Shakir of Lux Capital | Startup Investing
Justin Gordon talks with Deena Shakir, Partner at Lux Capital, a venture capital firm that makes long-term bets on contrarians and outsiders. At Lux, Deena invests in transformative technologies improving lives and livelihoods.
Justin Gordon (@justingordon212) talks with Deena Shakir (@deenashakir), Partner at Lux Capital, a venture capital firm that makes long-term bets on contrarians and outsiders. At Lux, Deena invests in transformative technologies improving lives and livelihoods, and she is particularly interested in intersectional and underdog entrepreneurs building breakthrough companies to accelerate advances and equity in human and population health.
Since joining Lux in late 2019, Deena has led a number of investments across stages and sectors, including in women's health (Maven Clinic, Alife, Adyn), digital health infrastructure (SteadyMD, H1), health equity (Waymark), and foodtech (Shiru), and fintech (Mos and Ramp). Prior to joining Lux, Deena was a Partner at GV (formerly Google Ventures), previously led product partnerships at Google for early stage products in healthcare, AI/ML and search at Google, and directed social impact investments at Google.org.
Before tech and venture, Deena had diverse partnership-centric experiences as an aspiring anthropologist, journalist, diplomat, aid worker and technologist. She was a Presidential Management Fellow at the U.S. Department of State under Secretary Clinton, where she helped launch President Obama’s first Global Entrepreneurship Summit in 2010. Her non-traditional path has cultivated Deena’s deep conviction in the potential of breakthrough ventures to positively transform the future and garnered her unparalleled network to help them achieve it.
Listen on Spotify
Listen on Apple Podcasts
Listen on Google Podcasts
Website: Lux Capital
- Deena’s background and how she ended up in VC
- How her experience across a variety of industries has led to a valuable diverse network
- How Deena views innovation opportunities in global markets
- How Deena evaluates the coachability and grittiness of founders
- Some founders with unique backgrounds that Deena is excited to be working with
- Deena’s strategy around supporting founders
- The benefits of investing across different stages with Lux
- Supporting founders through a market downturn
- Emerging industries where Deena sees a lot of potential
- Why certain areas such as women’s health are underinvested in
- How Deena began angel investing and breaking down barriers to entry for women
- Time management and work-life balance
- Deciding to write a children’s book
More About the Show
The VITALIZE Podcast, a show by VITALIZE Venture Capital (a seed-stage venture capital firm and pre-seed 400+ member angel community open to everyone), dives deep into the world of startup investing and the future of work.
Hosted by Justin Gordon, the Director of Marketing at VITALIZE Venture Capital, The VITALIZE Podcast features interviews with a variety of VCs, angel investors, and founders, with a particular focus on the future of work.