In this episode, Justin Gordon (@justingordon212) talks again with Gale Wilkinson (@galeforceVC), Founder and Managing Partner at VITALIZE, a seed-stage venture fund and angel community investing in The Work Revolution. In this round, we dig into how she conducts initial founder calls for VITALIZE.
In this episode, Justin Gordon (@justingordon212) talks again with Gale Wilkinson (@galeforceVC), Founder and Managing Partner at VITALIZE, a seed-stage venture fund and angel community investing in The Work Revolution. In this round with Gale, we dig into how she conducts initial founder calls for VITALIZE.
Previously, Gale founded IrishAngels, one of the largest angel groups in the world. She has led $65M+ in early-stage deals across 80+ startups. Her experience prior to VC includes founding two failed startups, consulting for new product launches with Nielsen, and strategy with Orbitz. Gale received a BBA with honors from Notre Dame and an MBA with honors from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. She was a founding Board member of the C200 Scholars Network, and she is currently a founding Board member of Chicago Blend, an organization focused on increasing diversity in VC and startups.
Listen on Spotify
Listen on Apple Podcasts
Listen on Google Podcasts
- What Gale looks to get out of initial founder calls
- Gale’s secret to running founder calls
- The general script Gale uses and how she tailors it contextually
- What helps founders stand out
- How Gale takes notes during the call
- Gale’s mindset in initial evaluation of founders and the process for a founder to make it through to diligence
- How these calls differ for Gale as a VC fund manager vs as an angel investor
- Behavioral red flags from founders
- How Gale has adjusted to remote founder calls
- Process and company red flags to look out for
- Factors to consider when determining ownership terms
- How founders/investors should prepare for calls with investors/LPs
- The importance of showing up authentically
- Gale’s thoughts on giving feedback on calls
- What founders should ask VCs
More About the Show
The VITALIZE Podcast, a show by VITALIZE Venture Capital (a seed-stage venture capital firm and pre-seed 400+ member angel community open to everyone), dives deep into the world of startup investing and the future of work.
Hosted by Justin Gordon, the Director of Marketing at VITALIZE Venture Capital, The VITALIZE Podcast features interviews with a variety of VCs, angel investors, and founders, with a particular focus on the future of work.