Justin Gordon talks with Patrick Utz, Co-Founder & CEO of Abstract, the premier platform and database for working with California state & local legislation that’s bringing lobbying and advocacy into a new era by increasing government transparency.
Justin Gordon (@justingordon212) talks with Patrick Utz (@PatrickUtz), Co-Founder & CEO of Abstract, the premier platform and database for working with California state & local legislation that’s bringing lobbying and advocacy into a new era by increasing government transparency. Abstract streamlines how you research and track bills, organize notes, brief stakeholders, and collaborate over legislation in real-time. More than just a bill tracker, Abstract provides the tools necessary to influence legislation and keep stakeholders aligned, all in one place.
Abstract is a VITALIZE portfolio company that recently raised $2.5M from several notable investors, on their thesis of becoming the gateway for understanding messy government data.
Listen on Spotify
Listen on Apple Podcasts
Listen on Google Podcasts
- How Abstract is increasing government transparency
- Abstract’s origin story as a university senior project
- The evolution of Abstract’s product development
- Leaning into their mission to get an alumni from their university to build Abstract’s front-end for free
- Early customer acquisition through cold outreach
- Determining their ideal customer base and what Patrick would have done differently
- Securing funding after 60+ rejections: all while still attending university
- Defining their early north star metric
- How they run pilot programs to construct a product road map
- Structuring Abstract’s business model and the dark art of pricing
- The huge market opportunity for Abstract
- What puts Abstract above their competition
- Hiring to elevate not to delegate, and leveraging their mission to win over tech talent
- What’s next for Abstract
- The decision to build a mobile app
- The big vision for Abstract
More About the Show
The VITALIZE Podcast, a show by VITALIZE Venture Capital (a seed-stage venture capital firm and pre-seed 400+ member angel community open to everyone), dives deep into the world of startup investing and the future of work.
Hosted by Justin Gordon, the Director of Marketing at VITALIZE Venture Capital, The VITALIZE Podcast features interviews with a variety of VCs, angel investors, and founders, with a particular focus on the future of work.