Lessons for Emerging Managers and How to Evaluate Founder Passion, with Richard Kerby of Equal Ventures
Justin Gordon talks with Richard Kerby, Co-Founder and General Partner at Equal Ventures, a seed stage focused fund backing the founders and businesses transforming society and industry.
Justin Gordon (@justingordon212) talks with Richard Kerby (@kerby), Co-Founder and General Partner at Equal Ventures, a seed stage focused fund backing the founders and businesses transforming society and industry. Prior to Equal Ventures, Richard was an investor at Venrock, where he led seed stage and Series A stage investments in 6Sense, Amino Apps, Beckon, Burner, Luxe Valet, and Salsify.
Prior to joining Venrock, Richard was an investor at Institutional Venture Partners (IVP), where he focused on identifying and evaluating later-stage investments. While at IVP, Richard worked with IVP portfolio companies such as Dropbox, FleetMatics, PopSugar, Shazam, and Yext. Previously, Richard worked in the Investment Banking Division of Credit Suisse.
Richard is a proud Georgetown alum and is a rabid Hoyas basketball fan. He is also the founder of Stealth Mode, a community of more than 1,500 African American founders, operators and investors.
Listen on Spotify
Listen on Apple Podcasts
Listen on Google Podcasts
Website: Equal Ventures
- Equal Ventures' investment thesis and the strategy behind being generalists
- Deciding to start a fund instead of joining an existing one
- Richard’s key learnings as an emerging manager
- What being hands-on with their founders means at Equal Ventures
- Their all “hands on deck” approach to building the Equal Ventures team
- Running the Emerging Managers Circle and deciding to host summits
- Trends Richard is excited about
- Richard’s view on remote vs. in-person
- How Equal Ventures evaluates founders
- Richard’s advice for emerging managers
More About the Show
The VITALIZE Podcast, a show by VITALIZE Venture Capital (a seed-stage venture capital firm and pre-seed 400+ member angel community open to everyone), dives deep into the world of startup investing and the future of work.
Hosted by Justin Gordon, the Director of Marketing at VITALIZE Venture Capital, The VITALIZE Podcast features interviews with a variety of VCs, angel investors, and founders, with a particular focus on the future of work.