In episode 66, host Justin Gordon talks with Zach Hudson, co-founder of Deft, an ad-free, SEO-free search engine for e-commerce.
Justin Gordon (@justingordon212) talks with Zach Hudson (@nosduhz), co-founder of Deft, an ad-free, SEO-free search engine for e-commerce. A VITALIZE portfolio company, they are building the future of e-commerce search by enabling its users to find, research, and buy products all in one place.
Zach has 7+ years of experience in e-commerce and gaming technologies, and is a second-time founder. He is a product manager by trade, and a self-taught developer.
Listen on Spotify
Listen on Apple Podcasts
Listen on Google Podcasts
Zach's LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/hudsonzp/
Zach's Twitter: @nosduhz
- How Deft is enabling trustworthy e-commerce searches
- The evolution of Deft’s product over the last 2 years (since their presentation to Tyler Cowen)
- Zach’s background and how he teamed up with co-founder Alex Gunnarson
- Narrowing down their target and why they started in the furniture and home decor category
- Early customer discovery and product development via their “Wizard of Oz” approach
- How they drove early customer acquisition via organic communities
- From non-scalable acquisition strategies to the diversification of channels
- The challenges and complexities of indexing products
- The evolution of Deft’s business model
- Determining where to establish a paywall for their product
- Taking on Amazon and Google, and what differentiates Deft
- How they vet investors
- Establishing roles and responsibilities as co-founders
- How being data driven fuels their growth
- Which metrics they value most
- Creating stickiness in their product
- What’s next for Deft
- Developing a browser extension and making UX effortless
More About the Show
The VITALIZE Podcast, a show by VITALIZE Venture Capital (a seed-stage venture capital firm and pre-seed 400+ member angel community open to everyone), dives deep into the world of startup investing and the future of work.
Hosted by Justin Gordon, the Director of Marketing at VITALIZE Venture Capital, The VITALIZE Podcast features interviews with a variety of VCs, angel investors, and founders, with a particular focus on the future of work.